- Foreign Object Debris is a substance, debris or any item that may cause harm to a system 
- Foreign Object Damage is the damage that is attributed to foreign object debris
- FOD can and has resulted in catastrophic failures to system
- FOD causes around $4B in damage each year to industry 
- FOD is preventable through proper controls and programs
- KSC FOD prevention program is structured with the following components: AWARENESS + PREVENTION = COMPLIANCE
A FOD prevention program consists of four parts:
An effective measure for eliminating FOD is to engineer controls into an area or system that prevents FOD from entering. This approach is very proactive since in theory it can greatly reduce/eliminate FOD in a system by designing a system such that FOD can not enter.